Top 7- Films I shouldn't love but I do

This list goes out to all those guilty pleasure films and films that defy your expectations so incredibly, you still can't believe it. There are quite a few films that I have watched that I just loved, for some reason. Be it because they're for a totally different audience than I fit into or just because they shouldn't be good but are, these films deserve recognition.


7. The Jump Street films
Admittedly, this is a bad start because if you've actually seen these films, you can clearly see how I could love these. But at face value, they look like trashy teen comedies. Pair up a fat guy and a hunk and then have them shoot bad guys and crack jokes at each other's expense. However, it turns out that these films are nothing like that. The first is a spoof of reboots and the buddy cop genre and the second was the funniest film of 2014 by a mile with it's meta humour, it's plain silly action and the funniest end credits you will ever see. It may look trashy but if you turn up to Jump Street, you are in for one heck of a time.


6. Frozen
My love for Frozen has rapidly decreased since it sold out with toys, sequels and probably Olaf sex pillows but it should still be noted that it's actually a good film. Is it worthy of being the highest grossing animated film ever? No. Does it deserve the level of hype that it is still somehow amassing? Again no. But it's just a good film. It's charming, simple and if you ignore the hype, you'll enjoy it. It's a sweet family film that I just can't help but love, even if I wish people would shut up about it now.


5. The Fault in our Stars
While most people loved the book of Fault in our Stars, it's important to remember that it was basically written for teen girls. Very well written but it wasn't aimed for those of us who own a Y chromosome. But I love it. It is honest and will not shy away from sadness but it's also funny and has characters you want to fall in love with. The film was a wonderful adaptation and I'm not ashamed to say that I went out to that special fan screening and got my limited edition poster. Tfios is simply too good for teenage girls, I'm taking it back.


4. Flash Gordon
Flash Gordon could well be the most naff film ever made. Seriously, it's the ultimate B movie. It is totally cheesy. The acting is silly, the script is not well written at all and it has Brian Blessed in tight leather pants. Now, the reason to not like this film is that it's just bad. But equally, the reason that I love it is how bad it is. It's not an award winning film. The only award it could possibly win is a razzie but you know what, there's something charming about how crap it is. You've got to watch this film really because it's lovable in it's naffness. And that's why I love it.


3. (500) Days of Summer
Romantic films are often awful and they aren't made for guys which is why it was surprising when I saw this film and fell totally in love with it. Okay, it has Joseph Gordon-Levitt in it and I love him more than any hetrosexual man probably should but love films are never for me. But this isn't a love film, it's a funny, frank and finely written film and one that is enjoyable for how well it's made, if nothing else. It also has an unorthodox method of it's storytelling that goes out of chronological order but it's quirkiness is why you'll stay. This isn't your ordinary love story.

2. Under The Skin
Even though this film has a naked Scarlett Johannsen, it shouldn't be my kind of film. It's a horror film where the tension constantly mounts and there is not a single moment where it really lets up. Even after the credits, you still feel on edge. It's been months since I watched it but this film still gives me the creeps. That said, it's a beautiful film that examines the fragility of gender, sexuality and the human life and one that is unsettling in the best ways. It's not an easy watch but it's an absolutely essential watch.


1. Alien
Alien has been referred to as the greatest and scariest horror film ever made. I agree with the first half. I famously despise horror films. Anyone who knows me knows that I am a total wimp and despise being scared but for some reason, I adore Alien. Yeah, it's scary occasionally but it's not packed with jumpscares. The fear comes from the tension and the constant feeling that anything could happen. Plus, it has one of the single most iconic and awesome scenes ever with the chestburster. It's the oldest film on this list but I would still class it as one of the best films ever. Even if you don't like horror films, you have to admire the skill with how this is made. You've got to watch it. And wimps of my generation, don't worry. It isn't as scary as people will tell you, just great.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Top 7- Reasons Johnny Depp is a piece of shit

Review- Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Road Chip

Do You Feel Like A Hero Yet? - The Last of Us and Violence in Context