Top 7- Most Anticipated Films of 2017

Great news everyone, 2016 is finally done and that means we finally get to move into what looks like one of the most promising years in film of the decade. What makes this year so enticing is how we are getting follow ups to films from the last few years that really resonated with audiences. Really, the quality of the honourable mentions list (not to mention how many Dwayne Johnson films I had to leaves off) should show what a ride we're in for. Also, morally I felt I couldn't have any DC films on here after the tempestuous year they gave us last time and how their trailers have been shown to lie blatantly and brutally.


Logan

Hugh Jackman's final outing as Wolverine promises, if the trailer is anything to go by, to be one of the darkest superhero films in marvel's catalog and hopefully a very fitting end to the Wolverine we have come to love over the last 17 years.


The Masterpiece

Over the last few years, my obsession with The Room, often called the Citizen Kane of bad movies, has only increased and this film adaptation of the book that explains the madness promises to offer a glimpse into the mind of a mad man if nothing else.


Star Wars Episode VIII

After Episode VII blew everyone out the park and Rogue One showed us that there is definite room for expansion in the Star Wars universe, Episode VIII will hopefully bring us more Rey, more awesome battles and much more Poe Dameron.


The Lego Batman Movie

The Lego Movie was one of my favourite movies of 2014 and Will Arnet's Batman was a particular standout. If that fact and the trailers are anything to go by, we are in for a fun time for children and adults alike.


Dunkirk

Christopher Nolan hasn't really done a bad film and while his last few films have polarised audiences due to plot, with this war drama it seems like we're just going to get a really good action film from one of the most talented directors of our time.


Blade Runner 2049

Sure, sequels late after the original are always risky but after a very entertaining teaser trailer and the knowledge that Denis Villeneuve, auteur supreme, is on directing duty, we may actually be getting a worthwhile follow up to one of the smartest sci-fi films ever made.


Kong: Skull Island

Two ape films in one year? It feels too good to be true but by the look of the visually stunning trailers that give a serious Apocalypse Now vibe and talented cast, it is true and could be great.


And those were just the films that weren't good enough for the top seven. Believe me, these ones are the real films to look out for.


7. T2: Trainspotting

The original Trainspotting is a classic of cinema and one of my favourite films of all time so a sequel over twenty years later is always going to be risky. However, knowing that all the cast and director Danny Boyle are back, coupled with a superb first trailer make me very excited. The novel that Trainspotting was based off also has a couple of sequels so if the original author felt there were more stories to tell, I put complete faith in Danny Boyle to deliver a film that is funny, sad and beautiful just like the first was, 21 years ago.


6. Kingsman: The Golden Circle

I loved the original Kingsman, I just really did. For me, it was one of the best films of 2015 and one that despite drawing on spy movies of old and also less old, it felt fresher than anything that had been seen for years (before Fury Road came out later in the year but whatever). When news came out that a second one would come out and would actually still be directed by Matthew Vaughn (the thing that scares me off from watching Kick Ass 2), I was ecstatic and still am. The cast has now grown to include Channing Tatum, Julianne Moore and Jeff Bridges among others and I feel like we may actually get the sequel we deserve for the film we didn't realise we needed.


5. Baby Driver

I wish I could put this film higher up the list but due to the sheer lack of anything concrete around it, I can't. Still, from the little that is known, I am very excited. For a start, it's directed by auteur extraordinaire Edgar Wright, director of only four feature films to date but with not a weak one among them and with Hot Fuzz being one of my most beloved films of all time. There is also a fantastic cast lined up of Jon Hamm, Jamie Foxx and Kevin Spacey just being the headliners. Really, it's Edgar Wright doing a heist movie and I am all kinds of happy with that.


4. La La Land

The best thing about La La Land is that we don't have to wait long to see it anymore. It comes out a week on Friday but I am so excited I've bought tickets to an early premiere on Sunday because I am that excited. Sure, I'm not a big one for musicals (my favourites include the South Park movie and Team America) but since literally days after watching director Damian Chazelle's last film Whiplash, I wanted to see this. The wait is finally over and after the misfire of having it on my anticipated list for last year, we are finally there. I just want to feel some pure, sweet movie magic. Is that too much to ask after the year we just had?


3. Guardians of the Galaxy 2

The original Guardians of the Galaxy is my favourite superhero ever made. Sure, there are more polished ones and ones that do more as films but for me, GotG is just great fun wrapped up in a filmm that, despite being created deep in the MCU, genuinely stood alone. That is why I am so excited for the second installment of this grand space adventure. From the two trailers we've had so far, it looks like we're getting more of the same and that is not a bad thing whatsoever. It's more Chris Pratt, more quips between the group and certainly another Awesome Mix. There is no way this film can be bad but hopefully, it will be fantastic.


2. Spider-Man: Homecoming
So with another intense year full of superhero movies coming up, only one can come out on top and I think that's going to be Spider-Man's return to Marvel. Sure, the title feels a little smug about that but so far, that seems to be the only thing going wrong. Just from the cast, this film should be great. Tom Holland, already shown to be a great Spider-Man in Civil War and sex symbol for literally one gay friend of mine, leads the cast with Community actor and rapper extraordinaire Donald Glover supporting and the ever fantastic Michael Keaton as The Vulture. This is all ignoring other great actors like Marissa Tomei, Jon Favreau, Hannibal Buress, Angourice Rice (Ryan Gosling's daughter from The Nice Guys) and Tony Revolori. I have to wrap this up now but if any more evidence is needed, just see the fantastic trailer which evokes superhero films, John Hughes and is just very funny.


1. War for the Planet of the Apes

You knew this would make the list and rightfully so. I loved Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (one of the first reviews I ever did) because it really is one of the best action films of the last few years but since then, I have watched every other Planet of the Apes film. No, they aren't all as good as Dawn. In fact, I don't think any of them are quite that good but some are really pretty naff. Regardless, I got Stockholm syndrome and love this franchise but that shouldn't deter from how genuinely great this film looks. That first trailer that we got oozes suspense and grit and I still sometimes find myself forgetting that the main characters are all created by computers. Whether this movie delivers good action and compelling storytelling (spoiler alert, with the same team on board from the last film, it probably will), we can at least be guaranteed one of most technically advanced films in years.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Top 7- Reasons Johnny Depp is a piece of shit

Review- Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Road Chip

Do You Feel Like A Hero Yet? - The Last of Us and Violence in Context