Opinion Piece- The music film renaissance

I like talking about music from time to time on this blog and I also like films. That's why I'm here to talk to you about what I would like to dub the music-film renaissance. It's a vague term but what I mean by it is films that focus on music and musicians. They're not necessarily biopics or musicals, just films that have a focus on music and the artists behind them. The term came to me when watching Love and Mercy and I think it's something that cinema has been doing very well recently.

I'll start with the biopics because that's where I came up with the term. I'll do it chronologically so starting with Love and Mercy. It's the story of Brian Wilson, lead singer of the Beach Boys and his life and loss, told over two time periods. It was a bit of an underground hit as most of the people I've spoken to about the film have never heard of it but it deserves recognition. The movie uses that Beach Boys license perfectly and has two phenomenal performances at its front and I'd recommend it to anyone who's interested in seeing the darkness behind some of the happiest songs ever written. The more well known biopic of recent times is Straight Outta Compton. I don't really like rap music or biopics but this movie was fantastic. Sure, it took a couple of liberties but it was exciting and fresh and made me care about something I don't care about: rap.

Next we enter the genre anomalies. First, a music-thriller you may have heard of called Whiplash. I know many people are going to argue that the focus of the film is not the music, it's the relationship between Andrew and Fletcher but that's about the musicians so I'm counting it. The film is one of the most gripping and exciting films I've ever watched and the music is central to that. The frantic drums build the tension, the smooth jazz contradicts the violence on screen and the final scene has no words, just music yet is still perfect. Another anomaly is the music documentary, Amy. I've spoken about how Amy was one of the best films of last year even though it was a documentary and that is really true. It focuses on the woman behind the incredible voice and the wasted potential she had. These films may be harder to define but they may well be better than the previous two.

Unfortunately, there is a dark side to this genre that is letting it down. You have We are your Friends which I mercifully did not see but it is only notable for having one of the worst opening weekends ever. It also features Zack Effron trying to be likable when he's at his best when he's hatable and has Emily Ratajowski, famous for getting her knockers out in Blurred Lines and then getting them out again in Gone Girl. An awful music film I did see was Alvin and the Chipmunks 4. If you read my review, you know it made me hate life but specifically hate any song that was in there. From Juicy Wiggle to Geronimo to Uptown Chipmunk, it was all there and it was all awful.

Basically, I'm pretty sure that the music film is a genre and if it is, I'd like to flag it as having a bit of a resurgence recently. Sure, it has stinkers but all genres do. Not all film noir is good, not all of these are good. And the larger you go with genres, the more mixed they get. I think what I'm trying to say is I really wanted to talk about Love and Mercy but didn't have a reason better than this.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Top 7- Reasons Johnny Depp is a piece of shit

Review- Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Road Chip

Do You Feel Like A Hero Yet? - The Last of Us and Violence in Context