Belated Double Review Spectacular- 10 Cloverfield Lane and Midnight Special

Today, I present the films that I saw, didn't have time to fit into my schedule and you can't really see in cinemas now but I want to talk about anyway. It's a claustrophobic thriller vs a slow burn mystery but either way, you're going to be hooked. First, 10 Cloverfield Lane.


10 Cloverfield Lane

10 Cloverfield Lane is the story of a woman who is running from her problems and ends up unconscious on the side of the road. When she wakes up she finds herself in a bunker. Her captor tells her she can't leave because there's been an attack but he saved her. Everyone outside is apparently dead, the only person alive other than the lead and her captor is another man who is seemingly trusting of the captor. From there, it becomes a film that is all about the relationship between the three characters and trying to work out who is telling the truth about what. It's a story that unravels slowly but will keep you on edge for the whole time, but I'll get to that in a second. Just trust me when I say that the less you know going in, the better.

The acting is where a film like this lives or dies. If it's about the characters sitting around and talking, the actors have to be good. Thank God they're all incredible then. Mary Elizabeth Winstead has finally made a name for herself as more than just Ramona from Scott Pilgrim and puts in an incredible performance. We only learn little snippets of her character but her facial expressions and body language tell a thousand intricate stories. John Gallagher Jr plays the other captor and while I've never seen him in anything before this, he showed enough promise here to make me very interested in his future work. Unquestionably, the stand out performance of this whole film is John Goodman as the creepy captor. At any moment, he can switch from sympathetic to terrifying in an instant. It just adds to the constant tension and has forever changed the way I view the previously cuddly and lovable Goodman.

I can't talk about this film without talking about the tension. It is utterly phenomenal. Many horror/thrillers are happy to build tension and then just release it with a couple of jump scares but this film never did that once. In fact, it had less jump scares than Zootopia which is an impressive statistic that speaks so highly of this film. Every conversation is laced with subtext and little hints are left in every scene. I can't wait to buy this film so I can over analyse every scene. A particular stand-out moment is a game of Articulate which has terrifying ramifications. The big criticism with this film is it's ending. It loses some of that tension although in doing so, it completes character arcs in fairly satisfying ways. I don't have too much of a problem with it as (without getting into details) the ending is set up as a possibility and I was still on the edge of my seat throughout the final bit although I can see the criticisms and it does drag down an exceptional film.

This is a movie with flaws, I think that should be said. What it also is though is an exquisitely crafted, tension filled thriller that keeps me guessing. I walked away with questions and I don't know if I'll ever have them answered but that's the joy. 10 Cloverfield Lane is a movie that demands to be though about for a damn long time and a month after release, I'm still in love with it. It isn't quite that perfect film but it's one of this year's essential experiences already and that's why I confidently give it a


Okay, let's slow it down now. Slow it real down, but in a good way because it's time for Midnight Special.

Midnight Special

Midnight Special is a film that dwells on mystery and succeeds because of what the audience don't know so I'm not going to talk about the story that much. What I will say is that it's a simple premise. Michael Shannon and Joel Edgerton have abducted a strange boy who is wanted by a cult. Their midnight drives start off low level but eventually, attract the attention of the government. The film unravels to become much more but for the most part, it's us and the government trying to get any grip on what's happening and even the cult members are trying to figure out exactly how what they know fits into these strange happenings. The story is great but it serves largely as a piece to demonstrate the film's characters.

For a film all about character then, it's appropriate that the performances are so fantastic. The weakest of the main cast is Adam Driver. He plays his creepy character with hints of relatability and is a valuable addition but is unfortunately overshadowed by the rest of the cast. Kirsten Dunst is fantastic and proves that her role in Fargo last year was no fluke, she deserves her place on the A list but she simply doesn't get the time. I don't know his name but the boy who plays the strange child was great. I can't wait to see where his career goes as he shows some real promise. The two main stars, Edgerton and Shannon, are wonderful. Edgerton expands on his promise from The Gift and proves a mysterious yet likable force who is the emotional touch stone for the audience. Shannon proves equally great although as a more unpredictable figure, bringing to mind his work in the wonderful 99 Homes and wiping away the image of almost seeing his knob in Batman V Superman. Most of the ambiguity is gone by the end but what there is is seen through his facial expressions. It's the cast this script deserves.

I guess I should finish by talking about the cinematography. This film is utterly beautiful. If ever you want to see some examples of how to creatively and interestingly make things leave frame, just look at the scenes in the car. Equally, for effective use of lens flare, this film is where you look. For a film where not a lot really happens, the events do really have weight. They come together to create this ominous mood that makes you believe anything can happen and you know what? It can. If one thing is clear, it's that director Jeff Nichols knows exactly what he's doing and that's why I offer him the highest compliment you can offer a director: I want to see the rest of his work. If it's anything close to this, the man has a filmography worth talking about.

I'm gutted I saw this film so late as it means I can't recommend it to you, seeing as no cinema in Cambridge is showing it anymore. That's why I have to recommend making this a future blu-ray purchase because, to step into the obvious cliche, this film is so very special. We'll be lucky to see any other films this year that favour the slow burn of mood and beautiful cinematography that Nichols does. I loved this film for the oddity that it is and that's why I happily give it a


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Top 7- Reasons Johnny Depp is a piece of shit

Review- Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Road Chip

Do You Feel Like A Hero Yet? - The Last of Us and Violence in Context