Top 7- Most anticipated TV shows of 2016

Now it's time for TV, one of the harder lists I do. I tend not to find out what TV I'm going to love until I find it so it's mainly speculation here but let's give it a shot anyway. And to clarify, I didn't deliberately keep all the new shows together and all of Netflix's shows together. It just happened. Also, any shows that didn't seem likely to make the 2016 window haven't made it which is why there's no third seasons here for Rick and Morty or Fargo.


7. Vinyl


Having finished Mad Men last year, I've been craving a new period drama to sink my teeth into and I feel like Vinyl is going to scratch that itch. I don't know much about it but I know it's about producers trying to find top tier artists to make new and amazing music in the 70s but with names like Mick Jagger and Martin Scorsese behind this, I can't see it being anything less than an entertaining mess. If they harness their potential though, this could be a smash hit and with it being an HBO property, the sky's the limit.


6. A Series of Unfortunate Events


I may have been burnt by this series of books a fair few times but they were an enjoyable experience for me. Despite a cracking performance from Jim Carrey, the film failed to live up to the books but I feel like this series is going to finally be the series that fans of the books deserve. For a start, with it being a series, each book will get it's own episode to shine and tell it's story and having each episode together is going to make for great binge watching. Here's hoping that they change the ending and can find a suitably sinister Count Olaf and then we'll have a superb show on our hands.


5. Preacher


Preacher is a hugely controversial comic that I've never personally read myself that (if my information is correct) is about a priest who gets super powers and, along with a prostitute and some guy with a face like an arse called Arse-face, they try and go kill God. It sounds like a very bold idea and it also has the backing of Seth Rogen as a producer. My big worry about the show is that it's on the network AMC, so they may not be able to push the boundaries quite as far as they want. The network may have pushed out violent and gritty shows like Breaking Bad and The Walking Dead but just for the language alone, there may be some heavy restrictions. Still, if they get the tone done, we could have a dark and mildly humourous show that'll remind us of the fun that religion can bring.


4. Bojack Horseman Season 3


Being a fan of the show since the very first season came out, I'm so excited to see where Bojack Horseman takes us in it's third season. The first season was interesting and started to show real depth as it carried on and then season 2 was phenomenal. It's fusion of bizarre humour and moving moments won me over completely and were it not for Rick and Morty, it would be my favourite animated comedy at the moment. If the show continues it's trajectory then we could have a frankly phenomenal season ahead of us. Colour me excited for this beautiful confusing show to return.


3. Better Call Saul Season 2


I'm aware that this show isn't technically a Netflix show but it's the only way we can watch it here in England so that's how I'll class it. Anyway, the first season of this show was way better than it ever should have been. Spin off shows are always such a worry and when it's a spin off of one of the most acclaimed shows of the century that focuses around a comic relief character, you're playing with some very hot fire. Vince Gilligan knew exactly what he was doing however and used that fire to put on an incredible show. As with many shows on this list, the season only showed more and more promise as it went on and considering that the same team are still on hand, I guarantee that season 2 is going to be fantastic and that's just exciting to know.


2. Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt Season 2


I absolutely adore Tina Fey's odd style of comedy and as such I was quite interested in Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt. What I didn't expect was to fall absolutely in love with this comedy. Every character in it was hysterical and either lovable in all the right ways, despicable in all the right ways and in one case, even both. Plus, given that cliffhanger ending at the end of last season, there is still a lot left to explore. There's also still stacks of comedy left for Tina Fey to explore in her uniquely oddball way and I can not wait to get through every single episode in way too small a time frame.


1. House of Cards Season 4


Did you think I'd forgotten about you, House of Cards? Never. I'll be one of the first to stand up and admit that season 3 of HoC was a little bit lacking compared to the two other seasons but it wasn't bad, that much is certain. The only reason that House of Cards makes it onto this list when we have a rather exciting year ahead is that I have a suspicion that this is going to be the last season of the show. Without spoiling it for anyone who's somehow managed to not watch the show yet, there are threads set up explicitly that would end comfortably after one more season and also some slightly more subtle details that will hopefully begin to unfold. Also factor in the ending of the British version and I really feel that the time of the Frank is coming to a close and if David Fincher and the rest of the HoC crew deliver the level of punches we know they can, we'll get a superb conclusion.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Top 7- Reasons Johnny Depp is a piece of shit

Review- Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Road Chip

Do You Feel Like A Hero Yet? - The Last of Us and Violence in Context