Oscars 2016- Room

Round two: this week, less action, a bit more emotion and only a tad more crying. That's right, it's Room (not The Room).

Room is the story of a mother who was abducted at a young age and had a little boy named Jack. They live together in a tiny Room which Ma's abductee keeps them in and it's the only world Jack has ever known. The story goes deeper than that but I don't want to go any further because watching the trailers gave away far too much for me and the story in this movie is best enjoyed knowing as little as possible because I felt that I'd lost something from the experience. I wouldn't go as far to say that the story is what's most important though. What's most important is the sentiment in each carefully structured moment from Emma Donoghue in her lovely adaptation of a book I've heard nothing but praise from.

Like I was saying, the story isn't what you'll care about in this film because this film is held up by a phenomenal performance from the wonderful Brie Larson. She's a largely underrated actress due to  the lack of big roles she's gotten, highlights being Envy Adams in Scott Pilgrim, her five minutes in 21 Jump Street and being Abed's girlfriend in 3 episodes of Community. These are roles that, while performed well, were nothing to talk about, even though there was clear promise there. That promise that we started to see, that has been leading up to this. I may not have seen most of the other nominations but I believe that this girl really deserves Best Actress. Every moment, Larson is entirely believable. I'd also like to mention tremendous newcomer Jacob Tremblay as Jack. His relationship and chemistry with Larson is what keeps the film alive. It's easily the best part of the whole film and the main reason to see it.

The biggest problem in this film is it's pacing. It is a film of two halves and before I go on, mild spoilers ahead. I'll try and steer clear of big ones but you may work it out. If you want to avoid spoilers, skip down to the last paragraph. Gone? Good. So yeah, the film is split pretty heavily. The first half is fantastic and is very focused. The emotion is tight and it gave me the tingles multiple times. But then we get to a very clear shift in the film and it loses focus. There are still those lovely moments but they are fewer and farther between. A looser focus means we care slightly less, even if we still actually care because the characters are so well written and performed.

Yeah, Room is really good. It has a good story and superb characters. It's narrative as seen by a five year old makes it one of the most unique films of the year. The pacing isn't perfect and it's uneven in places but you will love (and I mean love) the two main performances of Jack and Ma, with Larson being good enough for the Oscar as far as I'm concerned. The film isn't one you must see in cinemas but it's one you will enjoy when you watch it. That's why I'm going to give Room an

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Top 7- Reasons Johnny Depp is a piece of shit

Review- Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Road Chip

Do You Feel Like A Hero Yet? - The Last of Us and Violence in Context