Top 7- The best films I've never seen

As someone who both takes Film Studies and writes a film blog, I would like to consider myself pretty knowledgeable on films. However, there are some fantastic films that I (currently) haven't seen and really wish I had. This list is dedicated to those films. The films on this list aren't ranked on quality because, as the title suggests, I haven't seen any of them. Instead, they are ranked by how much I want to see them.


7. City of God

Foreign films always tend to be pretty hit or miss for me but City of God has had me interested for years. I don't really know what it's about other than it's set in Rio and is about the dark and seedy crime of the favelas. Not only would watching this film increase my spectrum of films that I watch but it also looks dark and fascinating. It's a film I can only imagine to be as essential as it is insightful.


6. Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

I've deliberately held back from watching this film for a while because I want to read the book but I know that soon, I'm going to just break and end up watching it. It's about Johnny Depp and Benicio Del Toro going into the desert and getting high to a degree that has never been portrayed before. It's also from the twisted and deranged mind of Terry Gilliam so for me, this film's dark humour and fascinating style looks irresistible.


5. The Shawshank Redemption

This is the highest rated film on IMDb and stands as most people's favourite films so I've been a little hesitant about watching it. After all, it can't live up to that much hype, can it? Regardless, if so many people absolutely adore this film, it has to be at least good, if not great. Plus, it's got Morgan Freeman's silky smooth voice all the way through so if nothing else, my ears will love this film.


4. Spirited Away

I should have watched this film by now and not just because it fascinates me and looks gorgeous. No, it's because my brother has lent me his copy of it and it's been sitting on my desk for the last few months. It's supposed to be one of the most fantastic animated films ever and I really do love that genre but it's also meant to be a good jumping off point for the world of anime which I've been staring into with fascination. And like I've already mentioned, aesthetically, the film looks sublime.


3. Back to the Future

Another film that's been sitting on my shelf for months, I have no excuse for not watching this film, primarily because Back to the Future day just left. Anyway, as someone who really loves quite a few of Zemeckis' other films and sci-fi in general, I'm not sure why I still haven't watched it. But I promise, one day, and one day soon, I will watch this film and the other two in the trilogy, despite what other people say about them.


2. Aliens

Alien blew me away with it's wonderful setting and masterful control of the sci-fi genre as a whole, basically shaping it into what it is now. Despite how much I do love Alien though, the idea of it as an action film is almost unbearably enticing. Sure, it didn't translate so well to a video game but I don't feel that reflects fairly on Aliens, especially considering what the game was. Anyway, as a fan of action and the Aliens universe, I'm not sure why I haven't seen this film yet but I know I should have.


1. American Beauty

So, top of the pile is Sam Mendes' magnum opus and the defining role for Kevin Spacey in American Beauty. Of course, those are both what critics and the general consensus say but from what I've seen, I don't think I can argue with that. Having watched small clips for it as part of film studies, I was blown away by the cinematography and the humour present in every shot. Oh, and lets not forget that I love both of Mendes' Bond films and every role of Spacey's I've ever seen, from Se7en to House of Cards, has been incredible. In fact, I even bought this film on blu-ray already, knowing that at the very least, I'm going to really like it. There's nothing about this film's style that I don't dig and as such, it's basically the best film I've never seen. Oh hey, that's this post's title.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Top 7- Reasons Johnny Depp is a piece of shit

Review- Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Road Chip

Do You Feel Like A Hero Yet? - The Last of Us and Violence in Context