Top 7 - Best Films That Have Come Out Since I Started This Blog

This week marks the five year anniversary of me starting this blog, which is... Yeah, hard to comprehend. When I started it, I was one year away from finishing secondary school and now, I'm halfway through University, about to do a year abroad, launching me completely out of my comfort zone. Still, through whatever trials and tests have come my way, films have always been there and seeing as there was another project that needed a couple more days (check back on the 3rd for that), today we're going to celebrate the very best films that have come out while I've been writing this blog. Plenty of great ones have had to be left out, in order for the very best of a very interesting half decade of films to rise to the top. As per usual, sticking by UK release dates and starting with a couple of honourable mentions!


Booksmart


The most recent entry on the list, Booksmart is nothing less than a joy. Not every single person has loved it as much as I have (a lot) but this genuinely endearing coming-of-age comedy is all but guaranteed to brighten your day.


Hunt for the Wilderpeople


Director Taika Waititi is now more famous for making Thor a genuinely brilliant character in Ragnarok but before making that, he made this wholesome buddy movie full of laughs and far too many memorable quotes to put in one place.


Inside Out


I don't know if I really want to put Inside Out on this list seeing as it made me weep in front of a group of children, but with a premise as originally thought out and meticulously delivered as this, I simply couldn't resist.


Hell or High Water


A western for our times, that is super lean but refined down to a tee. It went way under the radar in 2016 and I keep trying to rescue it from the recesses of time, because it is a thriller that never sacrifices emotion for thrills.


Baby Driver


Edgar Wright is one of those directors who can be guaranteed to make a list like this if eligible and with this musical action movie, he earns his place with flying colours, quick edits and a superb soundtrack.


Gone Girl


Again, like Wright, David Fincher will always make these kind of lists, but he earns it with Gone Girl. It's trashy art but even knowing the plot, it grips you, shakes you and gives you a peck on the cheek before dropping you back down to Earth.



With a lot of really brilliant films under our belt now, let's move onto seven that are (somehow) even better than those we've just discussed.



7. Mad Max: Fury Road


Mad Max: Fury Road was the film I saw twice in cinemas, back when me seeing a film twice in cinemas was a rarity. It's the kind of action film whose visual splendour can barely be captured by writing. In fact, a couple of months back, I called it one of the most beautiful looking films I've ever seen, although it is more than that. Were it just gorgeously shot vistas for two hours, it would still be a good film but the superb choreography of the action is on a level that I've never seen before or since. It's worth looking at assorted video essays online who can explain this better than I can but essentially, the action of each shot ends at the same place on the screen as the action of the next shot starts. It sounds a little confusing but what it means is that even while there are men swinging on poles, cars are spinning around in tornadoes or Doof Warriors playing their flaming guitars, your eyes are always in the right place. All this is in service of a fairly simplistic plot that still proves effective enough to have you punching the air by the end, not that that matters because if you're here for the action, what you're getting is a film that is 80% action and damn impressive action at that. Watch it on the very largest screen you can and you'll have such a day, such a lovely day that you'll feel as if you yourself are ascending to Valhalla, shiny and chrome.


6. Arrival


I kind of hate putting Arrival on lists like this because it means I have to explain its brilliance and to explain it would be to divulge a huge plot spoiler. It's a shame because seeing Arrival in cinemas is one of the most memorable experiences I've ever had in a cinema. Going in, believing that this film is one thing, before all of a sudden discovering the impressively large secret that's been hiding... Cinema doesn't get much better than that. Fortunately there's more to Arrival than that, otherwise it wouldn't really hold up on repeat viewings. The script is generously humane, the cinematography is out of this world and Amy Adams may have never been better, a huge statement for one of the best actresses working, although I'd be lying if I said the score from the late great Johann Johannsson wasn't crucial to the exquisite feeling of awe that this film inspires.. Before making this, Denis Villeneuve had done some impressive work and after, Blade Runnner 2049 has proved he's no fluke (fingers crossed for Dune) but Arrival is what I feel is the apex of his career. So good is this film that I've written an essay on it for my degree and analysing the script and source short story to death didn't manage to ruin it.


5. Ex Machina


I remember first watching Ex Machina shortly after it came out and believing that it was basically the coolest thing ever. I was 15 then though, a foolish teenager and for a while, I assumed that it was still a great film but one that I'd overhyped in my mind because teenagers love robots and light nudity. And then I rewatched it. Ex Machina was not as good as I'd remembered, it was better. On rewatch, what was most impressive was that this is genuinely a very low key film: the budget is small, the core cast is three actors and almost all of the film is one location. In essence, we're watching a play, yet Ex Machina never feels less than cinematic, an experience that could really only work in this medium. Because everything is so threadbare, there is no room to hide for Alex Garland and crew but everything in the film is top quality despite restrictions: the visual effects were so good they won an Oscar, the set and cinematography are all outstanding and the triumvirate of actors are doing work that I am yet to see them top. In a time when many feel Black Mirror is not what it was (I disagree but I know plenty do feel that way), Ex Machina is exemplary speculative science-fiction, telling us a story of future technology that leaves you shaken not because it is so strange and far fetched, but because it feels like it could be happening tomorrow.


4. La La Land


I think I may have voiced this confession before but it's been a while, I should probably air it again; I have never seen a film in cinemas as much as the four times I saw La La Land on the screen. What confuses me about that is that this is a musical, a very traditional one in fact, shocking because musicals are one of my least favourite genres. And yet, it is because of Damien Chazelle (who also directed First Man and another film yet to appear), cinematographer Linus Sandgren and composer Justin Hurwitz that I fell in love and kept returning to fall in love over and over again. It's another simple story of guy meets girl, work and relationships get in the way, will they persevere? (I'm told it's almost an exact copy of The Umbrellas of Cherbourg but I haven't seen that) but executed with a simple grace that enchants. Just earlier today, I was listening to "Mia and Sebastian's Theme" and it still gives me chills. I could still sing you all the words to "Another Day of Sun" or "Someone in the Crowd". Both of those things are only true because the music is so great, allowing me to fall in love with the characters and world much easier. Films don't have to mean something greater or be crafted with a complexity that's impossible to comprehend, sometimes they can just be exceptional escapism. La La Land is exactly that, a glimpse into a world that we can only dream exists. We'll just have to see it in the movies.


3. Call Me By Your Name


Another perfect example of enchantment here, Call Me By Your Name is utterly indescribable. I remember my friend Will taking me to see it and all I knew was that it was a gay film, because we go to see gay films together and convince everyone at the cinema that we're a lovely couple. Anyway, I was just watching it because we'd agreed to see it together and with my expectations set low, I had unknowingly opened myself to being floored. As the film rolled, I was greeted with classical music and the beautiful landscape of "Somewhere in Northern Italy" and then, slowly but suddenly all at once, I was in love. I wasn't watching Elio fall in love with Oliver, I was Elio falling in love with Oliver and as the film ended, part of me stayed with it. In fact, my heart is still there, somewhere in Northern Italy, falling in love to a europop beat while discussing Classics. This is kind of where my discussion of the film ends because honestly, the reason I love it is hard to describe, even hard for me to comprehend. Frankly, if you want to understand why it is that I love Call Me By Your Name so much, you have no choice but to watch it yourself and discover the blessed mystery of love this film explores.


2. Paddington 2


I went back and forth with this spot between CMBYN and Paddington 2 but in the end, I had a hard stare at myself in the mirror, asked myself which film I really loved more and I couldn't refuse this adorable goddamn bear. If you still haven't seen this film, stop reading now and go watch it. There is absolutely no way you could dislike it and it's perfect for all the family. See, if you haven't seen Paddington 2 (shame on you again) then you may be shocked that a family film has made it this far up the list but Paddington 2 is no ordinary family film. Part of it is the genuine human warmth this film gives off, a film with no agenda other than to tell you that (to quote Kurt Vonnegut) the point of life is to love whoever is around to be loved. It's happened since (maybe something was awakened in me) but Paddington 2 did mark the first time I ever cried with joy at a film, so heartwarming is it. Ignoring that though (is possible), the film is also immaculately constructed, often feeling like a British version of a Wes Anderson film. This is a family film with a distinct visual signature, just look at that scene inside the book! As a bonus thing on top, Paddington 2 is also exceptionally funny, giving me countless quotes to unleash on poor housemates in the future. Some of the films on this list are dense, some of them can be unpleasant at times, some fit my very niche interests. Paddington 2 however is just a straight up joy and a true to goodness perfect movie.


1. Whiplash


And now we get to Damien Chazelle's second entry on the list and one of my all time favourite films, Whiplash. I used to have to try and convince people that Whiplash genuinely is the most exhilarating thriller I've ever seen and it's about jazz but by now, most people have either seen it or are aware. If you haven't though, this is clearly the film I recommend the most, but it's... Let's say it's a little less heartwarming than Paddington 2. I'll try and pitch you on it. Andrew Neimann is an aspiring jazz drummer and a damn good one. He doesn't want to be damn good though, he wants to be one of the greatest drummers ever. To get there, he knows he needs the help of a prestigious music academy whose teacher is the ruthless Fletcher. Play well and Fletcher is on your side. Play poorly? Play poorly and Full Metal Jacket starts to look tame. The joy of Whiplash is that Andrew is fighting a constant battle against Fletcher (whose intent is ambiguous) but also himself and even though this is just a story about a drummer, you know that it will either end with him on top or with him chewed up and spat out. The score is so powerful I can't listen to it without getting sweaty, the cinematography is subtle yet powerfully effective and the performances are second to none, not least J.K. Simmons who channels sinister power into the most inconspicous words. Just writing about this makes me want to watch it again, although I'm honestly not sure if my nerves are up to it at the moment. If you haven't seen it, go for it (maybe preparing for a stiff drink after) and if you already have, go see it again. As far as I;m concerned, this is the best film that's been coming out in the five years I have been writing this blog.



Thank you for making it through the first third of the big anniversary celebrations, it's already been a fair bit of work but coming on the 3rd of August is a secret project about a very important year and then (even more importantly), this time next week, I will have a Hobbs and Shaw review. I know, I know, the thought is too much for me to bear too, just hold on until then.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Top 7- Reasons Johnny Depp is a piece of shit

Review- Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Road Chip

Do You Feel Like A Hero Yet? - The Last of Us and Violence in Context