Review- Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi



Star Wars: The Last Jedi is the ninth official Star Wars film, the eighth of the ongoing Skywalker saga and the second of the new trilogy started two years ago by The Force Awakens. This all sounds fairly confusing but essentially what it means is that The Last Jedi has a lot of history behind it and a lot to live up to. The story picks up (in part) straight after Force Awakens with Rey going to Luke in search of some training in the ways of the Jedi. Meanwhile, happening seemingly a little after the events of the last film, the rebels are making a run away from the First Order. This is where most of the cast are and it's where a lot of the action takes place. Some critics have been saying that the film is revolutionary and sets the franchise on a new path and I'll be honest, I did not get that at all. I've since read around about some of the events and maybe I just didn't quite grasp it because I'm not the biggest Star Wars fan but don't expect a revolution. That said, it at least isn't just a copy of Empire Strikes Back so it at least gets points for some semi-original plot points.

It turns out that a lot of people want to be in Star Wars so there are lots of people to talk about. That said, I'm going to try and stick to main cast so entertaining cameos like Justin Theroux won't be focused on. Daisy Ridley returns as Rey and due to the slightly moodier tone, she doesn't get to be quite as charming. That said, her performance is good and always remains believable. Unlike in Force Awakens, Mark Hamil as Luke gets to take centre stage and due to his character being completely different to before, it allows for him to explore new depths. The performance remains nothing compared to his Joker but it's still damn good. Getting to the final of the main three, Adam Driver as Kylo Ren might be my favourite thing about the new trilogy at the moment. Sure, people take this piss and say he's just an emo teen but the conflict he wrestles with throughout this film and the last is fascinating and there is just something about Driver that makes it all work. Simply, Kylo Ren in the most interesting character in this franchise right now. Finn and Poe are still great and deserve to be shipped, Andy Serkis is leering and nasty even through mo-cap (but not as good as in Planet of the Apes) and I think I've decided I like Domhnall Gleeson as General Hux. Plus, Billie Lourd (Carrie Fisher's daughter) gets an expanded role here and any chance to get more Laura Dern in my life is cause for celebration.

A lot of critics are praising the direction of Rian Johnson and while I feel like that's slightly bullshit due to how many people are involved with this film specifically, the technical elements do definitely deserve praise. The cinematography looks brilliant. Were this not the year of Blade Runner 2049, it would be the best looking mainstream film of the year. Special mention goes to the final fight scene on that planet from the trailers where there's a layer of white sand with red minerals underneath, sent flying into the air by the ships.That said, the film's structure and pace left me wanting a little. It has a similar issue to Rogue One in that the start takes a little while to get going. Possibly part of the problem was me being tired but once it hit the middle of the film, I was fully on board. The film grabbed me and I went along with it the whole way. Finally, quick celebration of the action, it's good fun and intense where it needs to be.

In the last few days, the Star Wars fans have had a big backlash to the film and obviously, this contrasts with the immense positive reaction from critics which leaves me stranded in the middle. I definitely don't hate the film, not even close but I don't agree with the critics that it's the best Star Wars film ever. You'll go see this film anyway but I think when you do watch it, you'll have a good time. It's just Star Wars after all and that's all it needs to be. That's why I'm giving The Last Jedi an



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Top 7- Reasons Johnny Depp is a piece of shit

Review- Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Road Chip

Do You Feel Like A Hero Yet? - The Last of Us and Violence in Context