Top 7- My Favourite Films (as of August 2017)

I like movies, you may have noticed that. Therefore, around my birthday every other year, I give myself the treat of talking about all my favourite films and ranking them. The one rule is that they can't have come out in the last 12 months as I want to give them time to settle in my mind properly. With that said, it's time for an extensive list of honourable mentions (not in any particular order) before getting to the core of the list.


The Truman Show


I'll say it again later but Jim Carrey is a highly underrated dramatic actor and this film was the first true demonstration of that. The film is very funny and very smart but it also cuts deep emotionally, building to a triumphant climax.


American Beauty


It's hard to be mad when there's so much beauty in the world and much of that beauty comes from this film. It's probably Kevin Spacey's best work and after watching it, American Beauty always leaves me with a refreshed outlook on the world, appreciating the beauty around me as much as I appreciate the film.


Mulholland Drive


In the last year or so, I've become something of a David Lynch fan and Mulholland Drive is his cinematic magnum opus. Initially challenging, then utterly absorbing, perplexing and intermittently terrifying, it isn't an easy watch but it is highly rewarding and will stay with you forever.


Die Hard


Quite simply one of the best action movies ever made, Die Hard has everything. The action is (of course) great, the tension between hero and villain is legendary and there's even a bit of a love story in there. It is a classic for a reason, if you haven't seen it, you're missing out.


Wet Hot American Summer


An absurd comedy on every level, what surprises most is that for every gag stretched to absurd lengths, there's a moment of legitimate heart. There's tonnes of absurd jokes though and the film is incredibly easy to watch over and over again.


The Social Network


David Fincher's first entry on this list is an engrossing biopic (kind of) that while not entirely accurate in its story is still a fascinating watch. With a script by Aaron Sorkin and razor sharp direction from Fincher, as well as excellent performances all around, The Social Network is pretty much perfect.


Airplane


Simply the funniest film ever made, if you haven't seen Airplane, you owe it to yourself to watch it. Even if there's a joke you miss or don't get, another will rush on screen instantly. You'll never laugh as hard or as much as you do with this 90 minute gem.



Those films are all amazing but these seven are a cut above the rest, holding a place truly close to my heart and even shaping me a little as a person.



7. Seven


I swear this film isn't just ranked here because of the name, it really does earn its spot. David Fincher's second film (although the one many would like to consider his first) is one that I didn't actually get into that much the first time I saw it. The story is a little bit of noir, a little bit of Gothic horror as it follows two detectives on the trail of a killer who murders based on the seven deadly sins. The point isn't the climax, although that is excellent, the point is the constant piling on of dread and tension. Not only is the pace of the film relentless, it's one that is made with Fincher's characteristic precision, making shots that should be gruesome be enticing and also creates on of my favourite shots of all time of (without giving too much away) is this gorgeous execution pose in the rain. You would struggle to use the word enjoyment in describing this film but it's a film that will shock you to your core and leave you restless for days.


6. Trainspotting


Trainspotting is one of the most iconic films of the nineties (some would argue ever) and I certainly can't argue with that. I always compare this film to Requiem for a Dream because both are about heroin and it opens an interesting debate about films but also helps explain why I prefer Trainspotting. Requiem is an excellent movie and has the greatest score ever written but it is miserable. At every moment you can't believe the film could get any bleaker and each and every time it does. Trainspotting certainly has these miserable moments, with the ending being possibly the ultimate betrayal between characters and the infamous hallucination scene offering plenty of moments of miserable. Despite this, Trainspotting is a great time. The humour is plentiful and the soundtrack pops but most importantly, you find yourself actually wanting to spend time with these junkies. Requiem may be the more accurate portrayal of addiction but Trainspotting is a damn good time that also earned a surprisingly good sequel this year.


5. Inside Out


The most recent film on the list, Inside Out also has the accolade of making me cry both on first viewing and second viewing, such is the emotional power it wields over me. The story is one that on paper could be poor but on screen, it's one that is actually deeply beautiful. Through the story, Pixar are able to tap into emotions that are immediately familiar to children (it being a childrens film) but for anyone older than the main character, tapping into those emotions accesses an additional level of melancholy that makes those emotional moments even more heartbreaking. I could gush for hours about how the film makes me feel but I can already tell it would just go round in circles. From an animation perspective as well, the film is utterly astounding, being possibly the best looking animated film ever made. Many people discredit animated films because they're for kids but Inside Out is for everyone and I believe it will be timeless.


4. Hot Fuzz

I think Edgar Wright is one of the most exciting directors of the modern age. His films all crackle with this superb energy that makes it impossible not to love them. I imagine that in the version of this list that happens in two years, Baby Driver will appear in some form but for now, Hot Fuzz represents. In my eyes, it is both the ultimate comedy and the ultimate action movie, all in the same film. The reason Hot Fuzz works so well is that while it does parody famous action movies, it does so with such a heavy reverence that one of the main characters spends the whole film worshipping them. Where Hot Fuzz truly excels in my eyes is when it moves into full on action with the bloody climax and surpasses all of the films to which it owes a debt. The reason Hot Fuzz makes it so far up my list though is that when I first saw it, it completely opened my eyes to how far action movies could go and as someone who now adores action, I have Edgar Wright to thank.


3. Whiplash


I love Damien Chazelle's La La Land (another film that will almost certainly appear on this list) but it speaks to the quality of Whiplash that it will never live up to that benchmark. Whiplash is the single most terrifying thriller ever made, offering tension from first scene to ecstatic finale and showing the horrifying depths that one drummer will push himself to in order to reach perfection. Miles Teller and J.K. Simmons offer one of the all time greatest double acts on screen as student and abusive teacher with Simmons' abusive rants in particular being as unforgettable as they are terrifying. The first time I watched Whiplash, I just had to stand up and clap as the film ended, so in awe was I. Admittedly, I looked like a tit because I was just sitting in front of my laptop but the pure adrenaline this movie sent through me held that power. Despite the thematic ugliness, there is some astounding cinematography in the film too and I always make a shot at analysing the film until I am just consumed. If you haven't seen Whiplash, it's probably the film I recommend most out of all of these. You may need a strong drink afterwards though.


2. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind


Not many people have heard of Eternal Sunshine and it's a hard film to recommend purely because of the title but any time I've met someone who's seen the film or actually managed to get a friend to see past the title, they always love it. Every time. The story is of a man (Joel, played by Jim Carrey) who, after a particularly bad breakup, discovers that his girlfriend (Clementine, played by Kate Winslet) his had him erased from her memory entirely through a new scientific procedure. Joel decides he will also undergo the procedure but as he moves through the memories, seeing all the good times among the bad, and realising that he doesn't want to forget at all. To say the film is emotional would be an understatement and both of the leads offer incredible, career best performances. The real beauty of the film is how it evolves with you and your experiences. Watch it single, it's one film. In a relationship, the film is different again. After a breakup, the film becomes all consuming and speaks intimately to you. If you can see past the pretentious title, you will discover one of the most beautiful films ever made.


1. Fight Club


The first rule of Fight Club is that it always goes on the top of this list. The second rule of Fight Club is that it ALWAYS goes on top of this list. I know it isn't a shock but this blog isn't about shocking people, otherwise it would be called the Quite Shocking Blog and that's not a niche I'm ready to explore just yet. Anyway, Fight Club. It's a film I love because it wholeheartedly commits to its vision of bleak nihilism and corporate greed while also being really stylish and much funnier than it should be. It is David Fincher's magnum opus for sure, showing all of his flair as a director as well as showing the skill of being able to adapt a near unadaptable novel. Plus, it really does have one of the best twists ever. Everyone always says it but that's because it's true. Finally, that final shot (not the penis, the other one) is quite possibly my favourite single shot of a film in existence. Paired with that superb understatement ("You met me at a very strange time in my life"), it creates an ending that never fails to give me goosebumps. The film isn't perfect (no film is) but for me, it's the closest any film is for me. It was the gateway drug to the world of films of which I now adore and I owe it everything.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Top 7- Reasons Johnny Depp is a piece of shit

Review- Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Road Chip

Do You Feel Like A Hero Yet? - The Last of Us and Violence in Context